You can use almost any bean, I prefer pink or red, but I’ve seen this done before with black or white beans. (This is not the traditional method, but it works very well for the refried novice)
1) Soak Beans in Water for 24 hours
2) Rinse and thoroughly wash soaked beans
3) Saute a whole bulb of Garlic & Onion in a pressure cooker Adding garlic 5 minutes after the onion.
4) Add Beans, 3 bay leaves, and ample water. Pressure Cook for 45 minutes (can also slow cook or use a very large cooking pot)
5) After Cooked Fully, Strain the Beans
6) Pan Fry in a large saute pan till desired crispness or lack thereof. Crush beans to desired firmness as well. Enjoy your Vegan Refried Beans!